I was ecstatic when I first heard about SMASH. A TV show about Broadway that would actually be running on prime time TV? Using REAL Broadway actors? Yes please!
Of course, I knew, this would be Broadway via Hollywood. I knew it wouldn't be 100% accurate, but, hey...some things I can overlook. I mean, seriously, "Let's cast and start rehearsing for a show we only have a couple of songs for and only a very vague idea about the book." This would NEVER happen. Other bloggers have already discussed this, and while it is annoying, in context of what this is, I can suspend my disbelief a bit. Realistically, this is a show aimed at a primarily non-Broadway audience and we need to keep those who aren't "inside" interested. Hopefully, the outcome is that it will interest someone who wasn't interested in it before to go see a show.
As an actress, however, I am really offended by the way Smash has perpetuated the "casting couch" myth. Yes. MYTH. I am not saying it never happens, but it really is pretty rare. I have been auditioning for twenty years now (that's a freaky realization) and the only person who put out the "sleep with me if you want this" option was a record producer. I was 18, desperate for my "break," and still had enough sense to turn him down. And I didn't get the record deal.
What Smash presents us with is two actresses vying for the same role - a seasoned chorus girl ready to move into lead roles, and a wide-eyed new to the city girl from the Midwest. Of these two girls, it's OBVIOUS - even to the most non-musical theatre person - that the chorus girl is the right choice to play Marylin Monroe. Come on - she looks like Monroe without even trying and has the chops to back it up. Midwest girl is talented, but looks kind of ridiculous trying to be Marylin Monroe and, frankly, just isn't quite "there" yet.
In the pilot episode, Mr Big Shot director invites naive Midwest girl to his apartment....at 10 o'clock at night...for a private audition. I don't care HOW new you are to this, this SCREAMS red flag. Midwest girl has a brief panic attack in director's bathroom, comes out in a man's dress shirt and, apparently, nothing else...does a Marilyn-esque "Happy Birthday," tells him "It's not going to happen," and leaves. Good Midwest girl keeps her virtue. And doesn't get the part.
Cut to episode two. Now, I haven't actually seen it yet. My DVR is being temperamental and didn't record it, however, I immediately started looking online for what happened. What happened is Miss Seasoned Chorus Girl DID sleep with Mr. Smarmy Director....and subsequently got the part. Let's ignore the fact that she DESERVED the part in every way that matters. The implication will always be that she got it because she schtupped the director. THIS IS NOT OK.
I am disturbed that the creator of the series and writer of this episode - A WOMAN - felt she had to go this way. I don't understand why she felt this was the kind of drama/tension she needed/wanted to create. I am offended as an actress. What message is this sending to the girls with dreams of being in musical theatre? Yes, this is a crappy business and people get and lose parts for all kinds of ridiculous, non-talent related reasons. Did we REALLY have to go the "sleeping with the director" route?
I really hope future episodes of Smash will downplay that this happened. I really hope this does not become a large plot point - that Chorus Girl does not CONTINUE to sleep with Mr Smarmy Director and that Mr Smarmy Director does not use this as something to threaten Miss Seasoned Chorus Girl with losing the role.

No comments:
Post a Comment